Great concept, I think there's lots of potential here! Love the graphics and especially the darker colour palette. Look forward to seeing how it develops.
Some thoughts which I hope are helpful:
- You click a unit, then act or move, then have to re-select them to get the action panel (atk) to appear, it could be a smoother flow if actions automatically appeared after moving?
- Nice to have:
- Right-click to cancel move/action,
- Confirmation prompt before it lets you attack your units. (I had arched selected, clicked attack, saw enemy was just outside his attack range, so clicked the other archer intending to switch to him - instead my archer killed my own unit!)
- left-click on enemies to see their movement, tool tips on abilities to show what they do (I know you can right click on the unit but tooltip would still be nice and less diversions),
- ability to skip dialogue/tutorials (eg when you lose and replay a map)
- Nice: getting new cards after battles that promise new strategic options (like wall, farm etc) was cool.
- Unfortunately, the fortress and walls did not seem worth the cost - walls were always destroyed immediately, and the fortress in two turns. Maybe walls could be cheaper and/or more HP, and fortress could be better if it had more HP and healed units, maybe something like 1-2 health per turn?
- A spike wall could be a good idea for another type of wall, low HP but dmgs enemies who attack it, creating strategic options.
- Maybe already in the game later but an option to repair structures - maybe an ability for the builder?
- Positioning - since units don't block movement the enemy just runs straight through my tougher units to archer/builders and one-shots them. Could be more strategic with units light knights having zones of control or at least enemy units not being able to walk through opposing units?
The only other thing is more subjective - but with card-based games the RNG might end you up in situations where all cards req. a builder but I had no builders.
Could not beat map 3 after 4 tries - I never got the right cards at the start or got stuck like above. I had plenty of archer, pawn and knights in my deck, but I also tried a round with only units and no structures in my deck to avoid getting stuck but energy was coming in too slow to really fight back fast enough.
I know you can "discard hand" but it didn't feel efficient except in extreme cases. Maybe an option to discard a single card and get +1 energy would be a nice balancer here?
Looking forward to seeing it develop!